What is M – Sand?
M Sand is “manufactured sand" which is a substitute of river sand for construction purposes. M Sand is produced from hard granite stone by crushing.
The crushed M – Sand is of cubical shape with grounded edges,washed and graded to as a construction material.
The size of Manufactured Sand (M-Sand)is less than 4.75mm.
Due to fast growing construction industry and depletion of good quality river sand the demand for M – Sand has increased tremendously,causing deficiency of suitable river sand in most part of the word.
Another reason for use of M-Sand is its availability,Quality assurance and transportation cost.
Since this sand can be crushed from hard granite rocks,it can be readily available at the nearby place.
Higher Strength of concrete:
The manufactured sand has required gradation of fines,physical properties such as shape,smooth surface textures and consistency which makes it the best sand suitable for construction.These physical properties of M-Sand provides greater strength to the concrete by reducing segregation,bleeding,honeycombing,voids and capillary.
Thus required grade of sand for the given purpose helps the concrete fill voids between coarse aggregates and makes concrete more compact and dense,thus increasing the strength of concrete.
Durability of Concrete:
Since manufactured sand (M-Sand)is processed from selected quality of granite,it has the balanced physical and chemical properties for construction of concrete structures.
This property of M-Sand helps the concrete structures withstand extreme environmental condition and prevents the corrosion of reinforcement steel by reducing permeability,moisture ingress,freeze – thaw effect increasing the durability of concrete structures.
Workability of concrete:
Size,shape,texture play an important role in work ability of concrete. The control over these physical properties of manufacturing sand make the concrete require less amount of water and provide higher workable concrete with guaranteed high compressive strength.
The less use of water helps less effort for mixing and placement of concrete,and thus increases productivity of construction activities at site.
Less Construction Defects:
Construction defects during placement and post concreting such as segregation,bleeding,honeycombing,voids and capillarity in concrete gets reduced by the use of M-Sand as it has optimum initial and final setting times as well as excellent fineness.
Advantages of M-Sand:
1. Eco friendly – Usage of M-Sand prevents dredging of river beds to get river sand which may lead to environmental disaster.
2. It is well graded in the required proportion.
3. It does not contain organic and soluble compound that affects the setting time.
4. Dust free:It does not have the presence of impurities such as clay,dust and silt coatings,increase water requirement as in the case of river sand which impair bond between cement paste and aggregate.Thus,increased quality and durability of concrete.
4. M-Sand is obtained from specific hard rock (granite)using the stste-of-the-art.International technology,thus the required property of sand is obtained.
5. Modern and imported machines are used to produce M-Sand to ensure required grading zone for the sand.
6. Less cost on transportation.
7. Economy-M-sand has increased durability,higher strength,reduction in segregation, permesbility, increased work-ability, decreased post-concrete defects,it proves to be economical as a construction material replacing river sand.
As of now,the M Sand is available in all big Metros and Cities.The cost of M-Sand is available almost 50% less than the cost of river sand.
(In Chennai,the cost of M-Sand is Rs 900/MT).